background

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Finding Some Style

Hello Bloggy Buddies!

I don't know if any of you have noticed, especially if you go on Pinterest at all, the trend to re-purpose/re-style clothing that you would otherwise donate.  T-shirt redos are very popular, too.

With Maggie growing like a weed, she is always in need of new, comfortable clothing.  She is only 6, but very tall for her age, and I'm just not happy with a lot of the choices available in her size but geared for older girls.

So, armed with a bag of clothes, a sewing machine and my limited stitching skills, I gave it a try.
Now, I will repeat, again, I am a novice sewer, so I'm warning all you accomplished sewers now....there will be visible wonky stitches, raw edges, crooked cutting and other sewing don'ts....haha! 

A friend of mine gave me a shirt that was much too big for her daughter, and not the style or color that she liked....but, c'mon...it's Hello Kitty....every little girl wants a Hello Kitty shirt, right?

 
So I started by cutting off the neckline and sleeves...
 
 
Then I added a black and white striped ruffle and made a cute flower with the stripes and a bit of leftover T shirt material.  Luckily, Maggie doesn't care about that awful wavy stitching....haha!
 
 
I forgot to take a picture of it before, but I found this cute raglan top at the 99Cent Store of all places!  It is a nice, thick shirt, too!  I took some of the cat fabric leftover from Maggie's room decor and appliqued this cute heart onto the front.
She says it's perfect because she loves cats :)
 
 
Last time we went to the Thrift Store, she picked out that tie dyed shirt on the left which is cute, but plain.  The dress on the right is too small for Maggie now, but I just loved that ruffly part on the bottom (which I just now realize you can't see in this picture.....oops!....haha!  You'll see it in a minute) :D
 
 
I took one of my Hubby's old Tshirts and added a collar insert and a second layer to the bottom to make it look like a layered Tee....and give her more time before it's too short to wear.
 
 
It's a little more interesting now without taking away from the tie dye design...
 
 
 But, but, but......I've discovered my most favorite thing to do to clothes!
Well, I'm getting ahead of myself, let me first show you this....
 
 
Yes, this was mine.  Love this shirt....hate the pit stains....
 
I wanted to marry the top of this shirt (sans stains, of course...haha!) with that ruffly skirt I mentioned earlier....well, that didn't work out so well.  I made the top part way too small for Maggie.  So as not to waste that cute ruffly part, I made it into a skirt and sewed some of the flowers onto it to make it more girly.
 
 
It's awesome that Tshirt knit won't fray.....I also love that with this kind of style, I don't have to be as exact with my sewing and can keep it loose and artsy :)
 
Here is what I wanted to share with you!
 
 
Even though I made the bodice too small for Maggie, I finished this dress off with a Tshirt ruffle from that same shirt of Hubby's to give to a friend. 
Look at this flower!
 
 
This is my new love!!  Cutting bits of clothing into pieces and sewing all crazy over the bits...and add a button...voila!
Pretty flower! 
I think I may need to do that to some of my shirts!
 
...and, in keeping with finding a little style, I finished this Mermaid with an edgier vibe to her.
 
This is "Roxy and Spike"
 
 
Isn't Spike a cutie? ;P
 
Well, we're getting ready for a 3 day weekend here in the States.  But, I wanted to make sure I checked in with all of you before picnics and sandcastles beckon.
 
As always, I treasure you coming here and visiting!
Sunshiney wishes,
Cameron

24 comments:

Micki Wilde said...

You are sew clever!!!....get what I did there did ya? ;o)

Love the hello kitty top, looks like a fab 'gymboree' kinda creation, my daughter loved 'gymboree' clothing when she was little!!
Love the turq skirt too, so pretty and folksy looking and that last one with the flower, well I think you need to make some of those fab flower creations into brooches for your shop......awesome!!!!

And as for the mermy, she's amazing and the little puffer is fabulous!!

I swear you must have entered a worm hole/time warp type thingy as you seem to just be knocking out these creations like nobodies business, seriously girl you are flying!!!

X

Carmen said...

Pit stains! Bwahahahaha! That there all on it's own is why I love you Cam :D

As for these creations, love'em! I may have to try this with Ruby and her Charlie & Lola t-shirts. We can't afford them new so scour bootfairs to find them - you wouldn't believe how many I don't buy because they are to small... I may have to rethink that!


All very gorgeous and you know what? I have seen wonkier stitching in some of the 'cheap' mass manufactured retail stores round here!

Spike is amazing - I may be a little in love with him!

Å olanje na domu-Waldorf said...

I am totally blown by the stuff people on pinterest do. Well ok, not all of them.:)) But this t-shirt recycling is awesome! You did a fantastic job. And I love your Roxy and Spike couple. :))

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You come up with the niftiest ideas! And I love your new mermaid...and Spike! Very fun!

Unknown said...

Kids never notice wonky seams. I am beginning to think most folks do. I am sure your daughter loves them all! I am not sure which one is my favorite. I think the tye dye, I am an old hippie!

Fallingladies said...

Roxy and spike are really great! And so is your cool flower, that does look like fun!

Zorana said...

I love how you just went for it, inexperience and all! And it looks great! I love the little cats, and flowers, and ruffles... all very cute! And then the big finale with that adorable puffy fish! Creativity overload in the best possible way :-)

Erin K said...

Oh man, right with you there! I'm in my 30's and I still want a Hello Kitty t-shirt. XD Love how you just dove in, which is what I always do too. The stiching just adds to its charm. ^_^ I think your designs all came out so pretty! This looks like fun to do, but I live with a pro sewer, so I don't think she'd let me get away with touching her machine alone. lol..
Your little girl is so lucky to have such a creative mum.
I'm going to have to browse around on Pinterest now...it's been ages since I was last on there. <3

Debi said...

Great Work Miss Cameron...thats using what God gave YA! Your little cutie will be the envy of the girlies with her One of AKIND dudes...I agree..who designs little girls clothes..exstrippers?
Anyway....I love Roxy & Spike!!! just saying.......
Have a great weekend..Party ON!
♥Debi

Natasha said...

Love your mermaid painting, but your sewing has completely inspired me, though I expect your skill level is much more than mine. Though I am very tempted to give it a go. I have the same problem with Miss 5. So many clothes at the moment that I don't want to buy her!!

Treehugger_31 said...

Oh so much adorable cuteness!!! I love the Hello Kitty shirt with it's sweet ruffle! I think we need to see a picture of a certain little gal wearing it!!!
The mermaid is super fun and I adore Spike!
Speaking of mermaids, your's is on the way! She should be there by Tuesday! :) I had such a blast participating in this swap.

Magaly Guerrero said...

I'll make sure that I keep this post really far away from the Little Princess. I can't sew to save my life, and seeing the cuteness you've put together she might want to threaten me until I produce something just like it. Kids don't understand limitations *sigh*

Joyce van der Lely said...

First of all, I LOOOOVE roxy and Spike <3 and then all the sewing !!!!! Wow, that is sooo much fun and doesn't miss M look thrilled on that photo ! (she looks a lot like you btw) Soo much Fun fun fun here on your site, luv ya !

Unknown said...

You are so clever. Is there anything you can't do???.;)
I find myself waisting far too much time on pinterest. I'm addicted. I find more thing I want to try than I have time for. Love your latest artwork. Adorable. hugs, Kyles xo

Dear Fireflies said...

Oh, I want that Hello Kitty top! You did such a great job with it..and the other ones too! I wish I had more time practicing my sewing, I'm getting rustier by the minute. :))

Kristin said...

Okay, that is WAY cool! I just love it - and it has my mind reeling too! We have the opposite issue with Kendra - she is super tiny for her age, the smallest in her class (almost 7) and so the clothes that fit her are too "babyish" - this is a great solution on many levels!
AND YESSS, can't wait to finish that studio! About a solid day left - gonna work on some today - so THEN I can get to my mermaid!
PS! Did you see the mermaid show on the animal planet last night???? YOU HAVE TO - but it was creepy (especially if you watch it at 11 pm!0
xoxo

Wini said...

Wow, your clothing designs look fantastic and so unique. I am very impressed! You are very clever indeed.

Daniele Valois said...

I have been doing this too, but without sewing. Cutting and wrapping. Now, babe has recently lost a vital piece to my sewing machine. If I ever replace it, I will be joining you in this fun. It is such a good way to have new clothes for nothing! woot!

painting is great dear!!!

Getrealmommy said...

Makes me wish I had a daughter to dress! Your creations are fantastic.

Hadiyah said...

very very cool, LOVELY creations and i LOVE LOVE LOVE your roxy and spike painting, big big big fan! i am a twelve year old who just made a blog and would love talented ladies like you to drop by and leave some love.

Hadiyah

xoxo

Lisa Graham said...

Cameron! You are soooo talented and creative. Your sweet little Maggie looks like a natural there. :) I absolutely adore what you can do with needle and thread!

PiaRom said...

You happy one are an maestro of the sewing machine, hehe...wonderful how you change the style of the clothes to the better! Love the bikini of your beautiful mermaid and her little green friend ♥♥♥ Greeeez from Conny

PiaRom said...

You happy one are an maestro of the sewing machine, hehe...wonderful how you change the style of the clothes to the better! Love the bikini of your beautiful mermaid and her little green friend ♥♥♥ Greeeez from Conny

Theresa MacNaughton said...

These are really fabulous, Cameron. Your little girl is really stylin'!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...